Cauliflower Mac and Cheese may not be the healthiest way to eat cauliflower but it certainly is worth the risk.
Creamy, cheesy, and indulgent faux macaroni and cheese.
Even the pickiest kid will like this dish. And the reluctant adult not on a keto diet (my husband) will request this side dish on a regular basis. This recipe even fits a gluten-free diet!
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese Video
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Fresh cauliflower – Fresh is best for this recipe. You can use frozen, making sure some of the florets are small. Also, be sure to drain them well. Frozen tends to hold more water and will make the sauce runny.
- Heavy cream and cream cheese – These make it creamy, smooth, and rich.
- Sharp cheddar – Fresh shredded. Pre-shredded cheese has cellulose to prevent it from clumping.
- Dijon mustard – Adds a little bright, and tangy flavor.
- Garlic powder, kosher salt, and black pepper.
How to Make Cauliflower “Mac” and Cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
Chop the cauliflower into bite-size pieces, boil them for about 5 minutes.
Drain very well on paper towels, place back into the hot pot.
This will help dry up some of the moisture remaining.
Place the cauliflower in a baking dish.
How to Make the Cheese Sauce
Bring the heavy cream to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, and whisk in the cream cheese and mustard until smooth. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder and whisk just until the cheese melts about 1 to 2 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste if needed.
Pour evenly over the cauliflower. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and bake.
- Switch up the cheese for different flavor options. Using easy melting cheese such as gruyere, mozzarella, pepper jack, Monterrey Jack, or gouda.
- Toss in a little parmesan to bump up the flavor.
- Roast the cauliflower in the oven first then proceed with the recipe.
- If you like a topping on macaroni and cheese, sprinkle some crushed pork rinds over the top. You could even mix the pork rinds with a little melted butter.
- Make it a meal and toss in some cooked chopped chicken or even smoked sausage.
Let cool for about 5 to 10 minutes.
Serve and enjoy without the carb guilt. This is one of those keto recipes you will make over and over again.
Store leftovers in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
Reheat in the microwave or oven. Add a little extra cream or milk if it’s dry.
More Low Carb Recipes
- Cauliflower Mock Potato Salad
- Loaded Cauliflower Mash Casserole
- Shrimp Salad Recipe
- The Best Keto Grilled Pork Tenderloin Recipe
- Pork Egg Roll Bowl
Cauliflower Mac n Cheese Recipe
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar, divided (reserve 1/2 cup for topping)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water with salt.
- Spray an 8×8 baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
- Cook the cauliflower in the boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well and place back into the hot pot for a few minutes. Transfer the cauliflower to the baking dish and set aside.
- Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, and whisk in the cream cheese and mustard until smooth. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic and whisk just until the cheese melts about 1 to 2 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat, pour over the cauliflower, and stir to combine.
- Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake until browned and bubbly, about 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool about 5 minutes then serve.