A traditional pound cake at its best. Moist, tender, and dense inside with a crispy, crunchy crust.
My mom’s sour cream pound cake recipe has been a favorite in our family for as long as I can remember. I have always called it my mother’s pound cake but I think she acquired the recipe from someone’s aunt.
This is the only pound cake I have ever baked, it’s my daughter’s favorite cake so it’s requested often. There is usually an argument over who has the last piece.
- Unsalted butter, eggs, granulated sugar, and sour cream – These ingredients give this pound cake its rich, decadent texture and flavor.
- All-purpose, baking soda, and salt.
- Vanilla extract, lemon extract, and almond extract – We use vanilla and almond but feel free to omit or adjust the amounts used in this sour cream pound cake recipe.
- Room temperature ingredients incorporate much better than cold ingredients. Remove the eggs, butter, and sour cream from the refrigerator for at least one hour before mixing the cake.
- Cream the butter and sugar for at least 3 minutes.
- Do not overbake. Check at 1 hour and 15 minutes. If a toothpick placed in the center of the cake comes out clean, it’s done.
How to Make Sour Cream Pound Cake
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
Grease and flour a tube pan or bundt pan. It helps release easier if you refrigerate the prepared pan while you mix the cake batter.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
Cream the butter and sugar (yes, 3 cups of sugar) together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Usually 3-5 minutes.
Add eggs one at a time, incorporating between each addition. Add dry ingredients alternating with the sour cream. Ending with the sour cream.
It’s best if the eggs and sour cream are room temperature, but I have made it with them straight out of the fridge.
Beat well, add vanilla extract and almond extract and pour into the prepared pan.
Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (Check at 1 hour and 15 minutes.)
Place the cake to cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes (or until easy to handle). Turn out onto the rack to cool completely.
Serve and enjoy this traditional pound cake alone or top with whipped cream and strawberries.
This cake is stored perfectly for up to 5 days in an air-tight container at room temperature.
To freeze the pound cake, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, then place it in a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months.
More Delicious Pound Cake Recipes
- Apple Cider Pound Cake
- Lemon-Orange Pound Cake
- Eggnog Bundt Cake
- Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake
- Meyer Lemon Bundt Cake Recipe
Sour Cream Pound Cake Recipe
- 3 cups All-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 cup Unsalted butter softened
- 3 cups Sugar
- 6 large Eggs room temperature
- 1/2 pt Sour Cream (8oz) room temperature
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon Extract optional
- 1/2 teaspoon Almond Extract optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare a tube pan with butter and flour. (or baking spray)
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.3 cups All-purpose flour, 1/4 tsp Baking Soda, 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- Cream the butter and sugar together for 3 to 4 minutes until it's pale yellow and fluffy.1 cup Unsalted butter, 3 cups Sugar
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl often.6 large Eggs
- Add the dry ingredients in thirds alternating with the sour cream. Ending with the sour cream.1/2 pt Sour Cream
- Mix just until incorporated, add the vanilla, and mix again. Pour the cake batter evenly into the prepared pan.2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Bake for 1 hour and 15-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes and then invert the cake onto a plate and cool completely.