A traditional pound cake at its best. Moist, tender, and dense inside with a crispy, crunchy crust.
My mom’s sour cream pound cake recipe has been a favorite in our family for as long as I can remember. I have always called it my mother’s pound cake but I think she acquired the recipe from someone’s aunt.
This is the only pound cake I have ever baked, it’s my daughter’s favorite cake so it’s requested often. There is usually an argument over who has the last piece.
- Unsalted butter, eggs, granulated sugar, and sour cream – These ingredients give this pound cake its rich, decadent texture and flavor.
- All-purpose, baking soda, and salt.
- Vanilla extract, lemon extract, and almond extract – We use vanilla and almond but feel free to omit or adjust the amounts used in this sour cream pound cake recipe.
- Room temperature ingredients incorporate much better than cold ingredients. Remove the eggs, butter, and sour cream from the refrigerator for at least one hour before mixing the cake.
- Cream the butter and sugar for at least 3 minutes.
- Do not overbake. Check at 1 hour and 15 minutes. If a toothpick placed in the center of the cake comes out clean, it’s done.
How to Make Sour Cream Pound Cake
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
Grease and flour a tube pan or bundt pan. It helps release easier if you refrigerate the prepared pan while you mix the cake batter.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
Cream the butter and sugar (yes, 3 cups of sugar) together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Usually 3-5 minutes.
Add eggs one at a time, incorporating between each addition. Add dry ingredients alternating with the sour cream. Ending with the sour cream.
It’s best if the eggs and sour cream are room temperature, but I have made it with them straight out of the fridge.
Beat well, add vanilla extract and almond extract and pour into the prepared pan.
Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (Check at 1 hour and 15 minutes.)
Place the cake to cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes (or until easy to handle). Turn out onto the rack to cool completely.
Serve and enjoy this traditional pound cake alone or top with whipped cream and strawberries.
This cake is stored perfectly for up to 5 days in an air-tight container at room temperature.
To freeze the pound cake, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, then place it in a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months.
More Delicious Pound Cake Recipes
- Apple Cider Pound Cake
- Lemon-Orange Pound Cake
- Eggnog Bundt Cake
- Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake
- Meyer Lemon Bundt Cake Recipe
Sour Cream Pound Cake Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 6 large Eggs room temperature
- 3 cups Sugar
- 1/2 pt (8oz) Sour Cream room temperature
- 3 cups Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon Extract optional
- 1/2 teaspoon Almond Extract optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare a tube pan with butter and flour. (or baking spray)
- Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the dry ingredients alternating with the sour cream. Ending with the sour cream.
- Beat well, add the flavorings (if desired) and mix again.
- Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes.