Keto armadillo eggs are the PERFECT snacky appetizer you can prepare that will keep you from cheating as well as appeal to your non-keto friends and family.
These armadillo eggs bring all of it. You have your favorite sausage with some heat from the jalapeno that is cooled down from the cheesy center. It is really a great blast of flavor and texture in each bite.
Try our Keto Grilled Pork Tenderloin recipe!
The beauty of this recipe is for those that are serious about their keto is that one of these very delicious eggs is only 1 carb! You are also satisfying your proteins and fats.
For the folks on the keto diet, it can be sometimes hard to find something different to eat that is actually fun and different. This is it.
Another bonus, you can toss this thing together in 15 minutes. So, let’s sum up: A great dish that has tons of flavor and texture that appeal to everybody and is probably one of the most keto friendly dishes out there.
Win-win all the way around!
How To Make Smoked Keto Armadillo Eggs
Start up the grill or smoker to reach a temperature of 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
While your grill is preheating, mix shredded cheddar cheese and cream cheese together in a bowl. To make the mixing a bit easier, set out the cream cheese and allow it to reach room temperature.
Cut the stem end off of the jalapenos and slice them in half lengthwise. Core the jalapenos, removing the seeds and membranes. If you want a spicier experience, you can leave the membranes.
Fill all the jalapeno slices with the cheddar and cream cheese mixture, making sure that the filling goes to the end of each jalapeno.
Divide the sausage into 6 equal parts and flatten into a patty. Place one jalapeno into a sausage patty and form patty around. Pay close attention to each end, sealing completely to keep the cheese from melting out.
Repeat until all the jalapenos are wrapped in sausage.
Place into the freezer for 10 minutes to all the sausage to set up. The fat from the sausage has probably started melting from your hands.
When the grill reaches temperature, place eggs onto the grill over indirect heat.
Check out our Amazing Smoked Chicken Wings recipe, also keto!
Add wood to your grill or smoker and cook for about 1 hour or until the internal temperature of the sausage reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Remove from the grill and serve hot.
You can serve these as-is or with your favorite BBQ sauce. We actually used our go-to Jalapeno Cilantro Dip. We put this stuff on everything, even our salads!
As far as keto recipes go, this one is a keeper. It’s great to break up the salads and grilled chicken with something everybody can love and ask for again and again.
Smoked Keto Armadillo Eggs Recipe
Smoked Keto Armadillo Eggs Recipe
- 1 lb Sausage breakfast, spicy, etc.
- 6 Jalapenos
- 4 oz Cream cheese warmed
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese shredded
- Start up your grill or smoker to reach a temperature of approximately 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While your grill is preheating, mix shredded cheese and warmed cream cheese.
- Cut the stem end off of jalapenos and slice lengthwise.
- Core the jalapenos, removing all stems and membrane.
- Fill all jalapeno slices with filling, making sure that the filling goes to the end.
- Put the slices of filled jalapenos back together into a whole and set aside.
- Divide sausage into 6 equal parts and flatten into a patty.
- Place one jalapeno into a sausage patty and form patty around jalapeno making sure the entire jalapeno is sealed.
- Repeat until all jalapenos are wrapped in sausage.
- Place into freezer for 10 minutes to allow the sausage to set it up. The fat from the sausage has probably started to melt from your hands.
- When the grill has reached temperature, place eggs onto the grill over indirect heat.
- Add wood to your grill or smoker and cook for approximately 1 hour or until the temperature of the sausage reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove from grill and serve.