This Sausage Potato and Kale Soup is really quick, easy, and budget-friendly. I purchased everything for the recipe from Aldi’s.
Its proper name is Zuppa Toscana, a popular soup you can find at Olive Garden.
It is a spicy, creamy, and hearty soup! And man, the flavors!
Recipe Ingredients For Zuppa Toscana
- Italian sausage – You can use hot or mild Italian sausage.
- Onion and garlic
- Chicken broth – Or chicken stock.
- Red potatoes
- Fresh kale or spinach – A classic component of Zuppa Toscana.
- Heavy cream – You could also use half and half.
- Dried oregano, dried basil, bay leaf, salt, and black pepper
Heat oil in a large dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat and brown the Italian sausage. Add onions, garlic, and spices and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the broth and bay leaf.
Bring to a boil, add the potatoes, and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the kale until it wits, then add the heavy cream. I used baby kale. You can use any kale you like.
Substitutes and Variations
- The spice level is up to you. I used mild sausage and added a 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. But you can certainly use spicy sausage.
- You can substitute fresh spinach for the kale. It will wilt faster so adjust cooking time accordingly.
- You can substitute half and half for the heavy cream. Or use a dairy-free option of your choice. Just keep in mind the richness of this soup will change.
- Sprinkle some grated Pecorino Romano over the top as a delicious garnish.
Serve and enjoy the depth of flavor of this Zuppa Toscana it’s just like Olive Garden!
We use red potatoes. Russet or Yukon Gold are good substitutions.
This soup will store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days in an air-tight container.
We don’t recommend freezing this soup. The potatoes can become grainy and mushy, and the cream might separate. But if you want to freeze it, freeze it without the cream. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Then add the cream when you reheat the soup.
Zuppa Toscana is a loose term meaning “Tuscan soup”. It is called “Minestra di Pane” in Italy, meaning “Bread Soup”.
More Delicious Italian Soup Recipes
- Italian Wedding Soup
- Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- Lentil Soup with Italian Sausage
- Tuscan White Bean Soup
- Sicilian Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Sausage, Potato and Kale Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage casing removed
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional (I use 1/4 teaspoon)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound red potatoes diced
- 3 cups kale or spinach I used baby kale
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add Italian sausage and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks; drain excess fat.
- Stir in garlic, onion, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes.
- Cook, stirring frequently until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in chicken broth and bay leaf, and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in spinach until it begins to wilt.
- Stir in heavy cream until heated through
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Slightly adapted from damndelicious