Red Velvet Brownies with cream cheese frosting are a simpler method for that classic red velvet cake taste.
Why You’ll Love These
Decadent, moist, chewy brownies with that deep red color topped with smooth cream cheese frosting!
We think the is the best red velvet brownie with cream cheese frosting, EVER!
- Super easy, one bowl, and done! You will have these in the oven in less than 10 minutes.
- These red velvet brownies are made from scratch. There is no need for box brownies or cake mix!
- The best red velvet brownies with cream cheese frosting! They are soft and chewy.
- Absolutely delicious!
Ok, so most of us might still be trying to work off the holiday weight but these brownies will be a nice treat for Valentine’s day, right?
Skip the frosting for fewer calories but we all know red velvet and cream cheese frosting are the perfect combination of flavors!
Are you looking for a traditional chocolate brownie recipe? Try our Perfect Brownies.
- Butter – This red velvet brownies recipe uses unsalted butter. But if you use salted butter reduce the amount of salt in the recipe. It doesn’t need to be room temperature because we will be melting it for the recipe.
- Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar – These red velvet brownies are made without cocoa powder. This recipe uses a bittersweet chocolate bar. You can replace the bittersweet chocolate with an equal amount of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Eggs – We use large eggs for all our recipes.
- Red Food Coloring – This is what will give the red velvet brownies that beautiful red color we all know as red velvet. The use of something natural such as beetroot powder will not give the same vivid red color.
- Cream Cheese Frosting – Softened full-fat cream cheese and unsalted butter. Powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla extract.
- Measure the flour correctly. Aerate, spoon, and swoop level.
- Baking chocolate squares will work best, but semi-sweet chocolate chips can be used if needed.
- Don’t overmix the brownie batter! Mix just until you no longer see flour streaks.
- Do not overbake the brownies. You will end up with dry brownies!
- Chill the frosted brownies for easier, cleaner slices.
- These are perfect for parties, holidays, or just any day of the week. You can decorate them with brownie crumbs, sprinkles, red candy hearts, etc.
- You could skip the frosting and toss in some white chocolate chips for a little extra sweetness.
How to Make Red Velvet Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×9 baking pan with parchment paper with an overhang for handles. Or line with aluminum foil and spray lightly with baking spray.
In a large microwave-safe bowl melt the butter and bittersweet chocolate for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until completely melted and smooth.
Whisk in the sugar.
Add the eggs, one at a time, until blended after each one. Stir in the flour, baking powder, salt, red food coloring, and vanilla extract. If using gel food coloring use 2 teaspoons or more for the depth of color you desire.
Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, until a wooden skewer or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with just a few moist crumbs.
Remove the pan from the oven to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled remove the brownies from the pan to a cutting board.
In a medium size bowl, using an electric mixer beat the cream cheese and softened butter and until smooth and creamy.
Add the salt and gradually beat in the confectioner sugar one-half cup at a time, until smooth and creamy. Stir in the vanilla.
Spread the frosting evenly over the top of the brownies.
Before cutting into squares, try chilling the brownies for 30 minutes to about an hour, making it easier to get clean cuts.
Yes. These red velvet brownies with cream cheese icing will need to be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
If you need to make this red velvet brownie recipe ahead, make the brownies (without cream cheese frosting), let the cool completely, wrap them with plastic wrap, and store them in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Make the frosting and store it separately in the fridge. Frost the brownies when ready to serve.
You can freeze baked unfrosted brownies for up to 1 month for the best quality. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and frost with the cream cheese frosting when ready to serve.
More Dessert Recipes
- Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Ultimate Turtle Brownies
- Salted Butterscotch Pretzel Brookies
- Classic Hello Dolly Cookies
- Pecan Pie Bars
Red Velvet Brownies Recipe
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate bar chopped
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 oz red food coloring (1 bottle)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
Cream Chees Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×9 baking pan with parchment paper with overhang for handles. Or line with aluminum foil and spray lightly with baking spray.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl melt the butter and bittersweet chocolate for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until completely melted and smooth.4 oz bittersweet chocolate bar, 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- Whisk in the sugar.1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking until blended after each one. Stir in the flour, baking powder, salt, red food coloring, and vanilla extract.4 large eggs, 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 oz red food coloring, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a wooden skewer or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with just a few moist crumbs.
- Remove the pan from the oven to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled remove the brownies from the pan to a cutting board.
- In a medium-size bowl, using an electric mixer beat the softened butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy.3 tbsp unsalted butter, 8 oz cream cheese
- Add the salt and gradually beat in the powdered sugar one-half cup at a time, until smooth and creamy. Stir in the vanilla.1/8 tsp salt, 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Spread the frosting evenly over the top of the brownies. Slice and serve.