Best homemade carrot cake with whipped cream cheese frosting is to-die-for! I will never try another carrot cake recipe again. This is the one!
Super moist, perfectly spiced, topped with whipped cream cheese frosting. You can’t go wrong. The whipped cream cheese frosting sends this cake over the top for me. I usually end up scraping off half the icing off a piece of cake because it’s just too sickly sweet. The cake part is what I’m after most of the time.
Best Homemade Carrot Cake
How to Make the Best Homemade Carrot Cake
You know the basics of whipping up the cake batter, right?
In one bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together. In another combine the oil, applesauce, eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Slowly stir the dry into the wet until combined. Next, stir in the pecans and carrots.
Divide evenly between the two cake pans and bake.
This recipe bakes nice and level. I didn’t have to slice off the top to even it out.
Allow the cakes to cool completely before frosting.
How to Make Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
To make the whipped cream cheese icing, whip the heavy cream to stiff peaks in a large chilled bowl.
In another bowl soften the cream cheese with a mixer, add the sugar, salt and vanilla. Beat until smooth and creamy. Make the sugar has dissolved.
Frost the cake with this amazing icing and enjoy a slice of pure heaven!
Best Homemade Carrot Cake Recipe
Best Homemade Carrot Cake
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cups lightly packed finely grated carrots**
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans optional
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese, cold
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream or heavy cream cold
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 9" round cake pans with parchment paper, spray with baking spray or butter and dust with flour, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, combine vegetable oil, applesauce, eggs, granulated sugar, and vanilla.
- Slowly stir in dry ingredients and mix until well blended. Stir in pecans and grated carrots. Divide mixture evenly into the 2 prepared cake pans.
- Bake cakes in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes in the pans before removing to a wire rack to cool.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely before frosting Flip cakes upside down when frosting.
- Chill a large bowl for the whipped cream.
- For the whipped cream cheese frosting:
- In a large chilled bowl, whip cream with a mixer until it forms stiff peaks.
- In another bowl, use a hand mixer to whip the cream cheese, sugar, salt, and vanilla until fully combined and creamy. Make sure the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Fold the cream cheese mixture into the whipped cream, then use mixer until it's fully combined and fluffy.
More Delicious Recipes
Recipe inspired by ChewOutLoud