The best homemade carrot cake with whipped cream cheese frosting is to-die-for! Super moist, perfectly spiced, topped with whipped cream cheese frosting. You can’t go wrong.
Why You’ll Love This
The whipped cream frosting makes the cake. It’s light and airy, unlike a thick, oversweet cream cheese frosting. It marries so well with this incredibly moist and utterly delicious carrot cake.
The cake part is what I’m after most of the time, but the icing recipe for this cake will win you over.
It’s an easy carrot cake recipe from scratch! No boxed mixes, just real ingredients. And you can absolutely tell the difference.
I will never use another carrot cake recipe again. This is the one!
- Ingredients for a moist cake – Eggs, applesauce, and vegetable oil.
- Flavorings – Freshly grated carrots, ground cinnamon, fresh nutmeg, ground ginger, and granulated sugar.
How to Make the Best Homemade Carrot Cake
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Line 2 9″ round cake pans with parchment paper. Spray with baking spray or butter. Dust with flour and set aside.
Whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger in a mixing bowl.
In a large mixing bowl, combine vegetable oil, applesauce, eggs, granulated sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer.
Slowly stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until well blended. Stir in pecans and grated carrots. Divide the cake batter evenly into the 2 prepared cake pans.
Bake the cakes for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes in the pans before removing to a wire cooling rack.
This recipe bakes nice and level. I didn’t have to level the tops of the cake layers.
Allow the cakes to cool completely before frosting Flip cakes upside down when frosting.
How to Make Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
Chill a large bowl in the freezer to make the whipped cream cheese icing. Whip the heavy cream to stiff peaks. A stand mixer comes in handy for this step.
In another bowl, soften the cream cheese with a mixer, and add the sugar, salt, and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and creamy. Make sure the sugar has dissolved.
Frost the cake with this fantastic icing and enjoy a slice of pure heaven!
Enjoy the rave reviews from your family for the best carrot cake ever!
- Use fresh carrots and grate them yourself for the best flavor.
- Make sure to get the carrots finely grated to allow for proper cooking with the cake.
- I use the food processor to grate the carrots and chop them up smaller. It’s faster than hand grating, and you don’t end up with long carrot strings in the cake. Or use the small holes on a hand grater.
- Always measure the flour properly. Aerate, spoon, and swoop level.
- Use room-temperature eggs.
- You can toast the pecans if desired.
- You can add raisins (about 1/2 cup) or crushed pineapple if desired. Be sure to drain the pineapple well before stirring in the batter.
- Stir in some shredded coconut.
- Use chopped walnuts or pecans.
- This carrot cake from scratch recipe can also be baked in a 9×13 baking pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Or turn this recipe into carrot cake cupcakes! Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.
This cake should be stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
You can freeze the baked cake layers unfrosted. Allow to cool completely, wrap in plastic wrap, and place in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then frost the cake as directed.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
You can, but it’s not recommended. Packaged carrots are dried out compared to freshly grated ones. You will not achieve the best fresh flavor with pre-shredded carrots.
You do not want to have chunks of carrots. They should be finely grated so they can cook with the cake. Using a food processor and then using a sharp knife to cut them even smaller makes for a perfect size.
There’s too much flour and not enough fat (oil or butter). Be sure to measure the flour properly. Aerate, spoon, and swoop level.
Carrot cake is an oil-based, not a butter-based cake. The oil helps keep it moist.
If you’re going for a moist cake, skip the flour sifting.
Yes. The flavors have had time to come together, and the cake will be moister. This makes it a great make-ahead dessert!
Other Delicious Cakes
Best Homemade Carrot Cake Recipe
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cups finely grated carrots** lightly packed
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans optional
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz cream cheese, cold 1 – 8 oz package
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream or heavy cream cold
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 9″ round cake pans with parchment paper, spray with baking spray or butter and dust with flour, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, combine vegetable oil, applesauce, eggs, granulated sugar, and vanilla.4 large eggs, 3/4 cup vegetable oil, 1/2 cup applesauce, 2 cups granulated sugar, 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Slowly stir in dry ingredients and mix until well blended. Stir in pecans and grated carrots. Divide mixture evenly into the 2 prepared cake pans.2/3 cup chopped pecans, 3 cups finely grated carrots**
- Bake cakes in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes in the pans before removing to a wire rack to cool.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely before frosting Flip cakes upside down when frosting.
For the whipped cream cheese frosting:
- Chill a large bowl for the whipped cream.
- In a large chilled bowl, whip cream with a mixer until it forms stiff peaks.1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream or heavy cream
- In another bowl, use a hand mixer to whip the cream cheese, sugar, salt, and vanilla until fully combined and creamy. Make sure the sugar has dissolved completely.8 oz cream cheese, cold, 3/4 cup granulated white sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fold the cream cheese mixture into the whipped cream, then use mixer until it’s fully combined and fluffy.
Recipe inspired by ChewOutLoud