These addictive no-bake peanut butter pretzel bars are the perfect sweet and salty treat everyone will love!
Why You’ll Love These
They are perfect any time of the year! It’s an easy no-bake recipe for warmer weather or a tasty dessert for the holidays.
These are a homemade version of peanut butter cups that are sure to please with the addition of salty crushed pretzels! I’ve always preferred the Reese’s Easter Egg version over the regular-size peanut butter cup. It’s the ratio of more peanut butter than chocolate coating for me!
Please see the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients, instructions, and notes.
- Peanut butter – We use creamy peanut butter but if you like even more crunch, use crunchy peanut butter.
- Unsalted butter – There is plenty of salt with the addition of pretzels.
- Powdered sugar – Confectioners’ sugar adds extra sweetness to the peanut butter and acts as a binder.
- Pretzels – Crushed and broken into small pieces.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – You can use milk chocolate or dark chocolate too! Your choice.
- Kosher salt – This is optional but highly recommended. For sprinkling over the chocolate.
The original version of the chocolate peanut butter bars recipe uses a 9×13 baking dish. It will work for that size pan if you like a thinner bar. I wanted it thicker so we used a 9-inch baking pan.
How to Make Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars
- Be sure to let these bars set up properly before slicing. They will hold together much better.
- When slicing the bars run the knife under warm water, then wipe it dry with paper towels. Do this after each long slicing.
- If you prefer a thinner bar, use a 9×13 baking pan.
- Don’t use natural peanut butter that requires stirring. They tend to contain more oil and the bars won’t set up properly.
- You can use milk chocolate for a sweeter taste. Semi-sweet chocolate balances out the sweetness and doesn’t overpower the peanut butter flavor.
- Melt the chocolate in 30-second intervals. This will ensure the chocolate doesn’t burn and seize up.
Store the chocolate pretzel bars in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
More Dessert Bar Recipes
No-Bake Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars Recipe
Peanut Butter Layer
- 1 cup Peanut butter creamy
- 3/4 cup Unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups Powdered sugar
- 2 cups Pretzels crushed
- 1 1/2 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp Peanut butter creamy
- 1/2 cup Pretzels broken into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt coarse
Peanut butter layer
- Line a 9-inch baking pan with parchment paper leaving an overhang for easy removal.
- Crush the pretzels to almost completely fine, leaving a few larger pieces for crunch. We do this in a food processor but you can also place the pretzels in a ziplock bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
- In a large mixing bowl (microwave safe) melt the butter. Stir in the 1 cup peanut butter, powdered sugar, and crushed pretzels.
- Spoon the peanut butter mixture into the prepared baking dish and press it out into an even layer. Place in the freezer while you melt the chocolate chips.
- Place the chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons peanut butter in a microwave-safe bowl or large measuring cup. Microwave in 20-30 second intervals, stirring well after each interval, until melted and smooth.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the top of the bars and spread it out into an even layer. Sprinkle the broken pretzel pieces over the top and lightly press them into the chocolate layer. Sprinkle the kosher salt over the top.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour. Remove from the pan using the overhang handles and slice into bars.