Homemade Pizza Dough
This homemade pizza dough recipe was really easy and tasted incredible. We kept it simple and made a pepperoni pizza. But we have made it several times before and used pesto, artichokes, and mozzarella.
I never knew how easy it is to make homemade pizza dough.
It’s been my go-to homemade pizza dough recipe and we haven’t ordered out since.
Pizza dough consists of the same basic ingredients as bread dough: water, yeast, flour, salt, and olive oil.
- Water – Warm water activates the yeast.
- Active dry yeast – You can use active dry yeast or instant yeast. If using instant yeast there is no need to proof it first.
- Sugar – Adds flavor and feeds the yeast.
- Salt – Adds flavor.
- Olive Oil – Also adds a good flavor to the crust.
- Bread flour – You can also use all-purpose flour.
How to Make Homemade Pizza Dough
Proof the yeast, warm water, and sugar for about 10 minutes until it becomes bubbly.
Next, add the salt, olive oil, and half of the flour to the yeast mixture. Mix until combined.
Slowly add the remaining flour, until the dough becomes slightly tacky. But not super sticky. It shouldn’t stick to your finger when touched and pulled away.
Then knead for an additional 6 minutes. (I set the timer on my stand mixer)
Lightly grease a large bowl, and turn the dough over in the bowl to coat. Let rise in a warm spot for 1 to 2 hours. Mine usually takes about 45 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 500ºF degrees.
Prepare a piece of parchment paper.
How Do You Shape Pizza Dough?
Shape the dough on the parchment by gently pushing the center of the dough out with the heel of your hand. You can use your fingers to continue to stretch the dough as it gets thinner into a 12-inch circle. You can use your fingers to create a raised crust.
Add the toppings and bake. We use jar pizza sauce, pepperoni, and mozzarella. You can use a tomato sauce of your choice and any toppings you desire.
Transfer the pizza using the parchment paper to slide it onto a baking sheet, pizza pan, or pizza stone.
Shaping the dough into a round took some practice, but I think we have it down now. (not too bad, right?)
Brush the crust edge with olive oil or melted butter and flavor it with any of the following variations.
- Garlic butter
- Sesame seeds
- Parmesan cheese
- Cajun seasoning
- In a small bowl mix up any combination of flavors you desire. Oregano, basil, Italian seasoning, etc.
Bake at 500 degrees for 9 to 12 minutes. Friday night pizza is done!
Yield: 2 – 12″ pizza crusts; about 1 lb. of dough.
Having a homemade pizza dough recipe gives you the freedom to customize it for each person’s favorite toppings.
Yes. You can make the dough ahead of time through the rising step, divide the dough and freeze it for up to 3 months or until ready to use. When ready to use, remove from freezer and let sit out at room temperature and double in size; for 6-8 hours.
Or thaw overnight in the fridge, and allow it to sit at room temperature for at least one hour before shaping.
More Delicious Recipes
- Italian Bread Recipe
- The Perfect Homemade Sandwich Bread Recipe
- Foolproof Baked Ziti With Italian Sausage
- Italian Sausage Rigatoni with Spicy Tomato Cream Sauce
- Absolute Best Ever Lasagna Recipe
Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups bread flour give or take 1/2 cup…depending on the humidity
- In mixing bowl of a stand mixer, stir yeast and sugar into warm water.
- Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes or until bubbles form and mixture starts to foam. This tells you that the yeast is alive and kicking.
- Pour in salt, oil and half the flour and mix.
- Once that flour is incorporated, start adding flour in a little at a time until you get the pizza dough to the consistency you want. (slightly tacky, but when you touch it, it doesn’t stick to your hands)
- Once you reach this stage, knead for 6 minutes. The dough should be smooth and easy to work with. And the bowl should be clean!
- (This is the point when you could freeze your dough. Divide into portions, place into freezer bags, seal removing all air and freeze. To use, remove from freezer and let sit out to get to room temperature and double in size; 6-8 hours. Then use as you’d like.)
- Lightly grease the bowl & the dough so it doesn’t dry out, cover with plastic wrap and let it rise 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees with a pizza stone or upside down sheet pan inside.
- Spread pizza dough out into a 12-inch circle on parchment paper for ease of transfer to the stone or sheet pan.
- Place your toppings on the dough and bake for 9 to 12 minutes.
Recipe from laurenslatest
Looks delicious! I love to make pizza at home – it tastes good and saves so much $$! Thanks for sharing your recipe. Blessings, Janet
Thank you, Janet!
We use to make homemade pizza all of the time, I hope to incorporate this recipe for dough and start again! Nothing beats homemade pizza with fresh toppings!
I agree, Susan! Thank you for stopping by!
My mom used to make homemade pizza dough quite often when I was younger. This looks like a delicious pizza crust! Not to mention, great for freezing for future use! Thanks for linking up with Delicious Dishes Recipe Party!
Thank you, Liz!
My kids love only cheese pizza this recipe sounds perfect for them, thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop, pinning and tweeting.