I never knew how easy it is to make homemade pizza dough.
This recipe was really easy and tastes incredible. We kept it simple and made a pepperoni pizza. But we have made it several times before and we just used pesto, artichokes, and mozzarella.
It’s been my go-to homemade pizza dough recipe and we haven’t ordered out since.
Try our Italian Sausage Recipe!
Pizza Dough Recipe
How to make pizza dough at home
Proof the yeast, warm water, and sugar for about 10 minutes until it becomes bubbly.
Next, add the salt, olive oil and half of the flour to the yeast mixture. Mix until combined.
Slowly add the remaining flour, until the dough becomes slightly tacky. But not super sticky. It shouldn’t stick to your finger when touched and pulled away.
Then knead for an additional 6 minutes. (I set the timer on my stand mixer)
Lightly grease a bowl, turn the dough over in the bowl to coat. Let rise in a warm spot for 1 to 2 hours. Mine usually takes about 45 minutes.
Check out out Absolute Best Ever Lasagna Recipe!
Preheat oven to 500ºF degrees.
Prepare a piece of parchment paper.
Shape the dough on the parchment and add the toppings and bake. (We use jar pizza sauce, pepperoni, and mozzarella.)
Transfer the pizza using the parchment paper to slide it onto a baking sheet, pizza pan or stone.
Shaping the dough into a round took some practice, but I think we have it down now. (not too bad, right?)
Bake at 500 degrees for 9 to 12 minutes. Friday night pizza is done!
Having a homemade pizza dough recipe gives you the freedom to customize for each person favorite toppings.
You can also make the dough ahead of time and freeze it until ready to use. When ready to use, remove from freezer and let sit out at room temperature and double in size; 6-8 hours.
Yield: 2 – 12″ pizza crusts; about 1 lb. of dough.
Check out our Parmesan Meatballs!
Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe
Homemade Pizza Dough
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive
- 3 cups bread flour give or take 1/2 cup…depending on the humidity
- In mixing bowl of a stand mixer, stir yeast and sugar into warm water.
- Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes or until bubbles form and mixture starts to foam. This tells you that the yeast is alive and kicking.
- Pour in salt, oil and half the flour and mix.
- Once that flour is incorporated, start adding flour in a little at a time until you get the pizza dough to the consistency you want. (slightly tacky, but when you touch it, it doesn’t stick to your hands)
- Once you reach this stage, knead for 6 minutes. The dough should be smooth and easy to work with. And the bowl should be clean!
- (This is the point when you could freeze your dough. Divide into portions, place into freezer bags, seal removing all air and freeze. To use, remove from freezer and let sit out to get to room temperature and double in size; 6-8 hours. Then use as you’d like.)
- Lightly grease the bowl & the dough so it doesn’t dry out, cover with plastic wrap and let it rise 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees with a pizza stone or upside down sheet pan inside.
- Spread pizza dough out into a 12-inch circle on parchment paper for ease of transfer to the stone or sheet pan.
- Place your toppings on the dough and bake for 9 to 12 minutes.
Recipe from laurenslatest