How to make homemade Cajun turkey deli meat. It is so much tastier than store-bought, plus a fraction of the cost! I was tired of paying over $10 a pound for “good” deli turkey sandwich meat. There is only one brand I’m willing to eat and it’s fairly expensive. You guys I can’t even begin to describe the tremendous flavor of this turkey. The key is dry brining for at least 24 hours.
Homemade Cajun Turkey Deli Meat
Skip the deli counter, head to the meat department and do it yourself Homemade Cajun Turkey Deli Meat. Mix the spices together and completely cover the turkey breast evenly. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for a minimum of 24 hours. We brined ours for 48 hours.
Remove the turkey breast from the fridge for at least 45 minutes before roasting. Do not rinse the turkey breast. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. We placed a skewer through the breast to keep it upright in the pan. Roast the turkey for 15 minutes, turn the oven temperature down to 325 degrees and continue cooking until the internal temperature in the thickest part reads 165 degrees.
Remove it from the oven, allow to rest and cool enough to wrap tightly and place in the refrigerator overnight. Refrigeration will give you the best thin slice lunch meat possible.
Once chilled and ready to slice, cut each breast off the bone.
Using a very sharp knife, start slicing as thin as you like. PERFECTION! This homemade Cajun turkey deli meat is so tender and full of Cajun flavor. Seriously, the flavor is all the way through the meat!
This is exactly what you have been waiting for, an amazing sandwich using this bread recipe. Just look at that sandwich! This is the sandwich we’ve been longing for at a fraction of the price!
Homemade Cajun Turkey Deli Meat - So tender and full of flavor you will never buy deli lunchmeat again!
- 6-7 lb Turkey breast
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon dried Thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Dry the turkey breast with paper towels, inside and out.
- Mix all the above listed dry brine ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Rub the spice mixture evenly over the turkey breast.
- Wrap in plastic wrap, place on a baking tray or large plate and refrigerate for 24-48 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator and allow to stand at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. (Remove the plastic wrap from the turkey.)
- Roast the turkey breast, uncovered for 15 minutes, then turn the oven temperature down to 325 degrees. Continue cooking until the internal temperature in the thickest part of the breast is 165 degrees. About 1 1/2 hours. Check frequently, you DO NOT want to overcook the turkey. (ours was at 165 degrees in 1 hr 30 minutes total time, including the 15-minute high heat roast)
- Allow the turkey to cool, wrap the turkey and place it in the refrigerator overnight to chill completely.
- Using a very sharp knife remove the breast from the bone, then slice as thin as you like for sandwiches.
Serving size depends on how high you pile your sandwiches.
You can use boneless as well, just adjust your cooking times accordingly.
More Delicious Recipes