Slow Cooker Apple Cider
A Slow cooker hot apple cider recipe is a must-make for those cool fall days!
Easy, homemade, warm, and delicious. Not to mention the aroma that lingers in your home. My house smelled amazing! Oh, so fall fabulous!
What’s Great About This Recipe
Fresh apples, orange, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and brown sugar make this cider irresistible. Perfect for parties, just keep it warm in the slow cooker and let everyone serve themselves a cup garnished with a cinnamon stick or orange slices.
Why These Ingredients
It’s amazing how just a few simple ingredients can create such a fabulous beverage.
- Apples – Use your favorites just keep in mind the sweetness and tartness. Fuji and Gala are great for sweetness. Honeycrisp is one of our favorites. Granny Smith is great for tartness.
- Oranges – Adding citrus counterbalances the sweetness of the apples and brown sugar.
- Brown Sugar – Brown sugar enhances the natural sugars of apples and oranges in the cider.
- Cinnamon, Allspice, And Cloves – These spices scream Fall and accentuate apple cider as nothing else can.
How To Make Slow Cooker Apple Cider
Wash the apples and oranges thoroughly. Slice into quarters and place them in the crock of the slow cooker.
Toss the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, dark brown sugar, and 12 cups of water in the crock pot. If you wish, you could make a spice bag, but it will all be strained later anyway.
Set to high for 4 hours (or low for 6).
This is the kind of recipe where I use my small pieces of nutmeg. You know the pieces that if you keep trying to grate them, you will take a fingertip off.
After 4 hours, mash the apples and oranges with a potato masher. Return the lid and cook on high for another hour.
Strain the solids from the liquid through a fine-mesh sieve, and discard the solids.
Wrap yourself in a cozy blanket and pour yourself a cup of this comforting warm slow cooker apple cider.
Or make this for a party or family gathering, leave in the slow cooker and just keep it warm for everyone to enjoy.
If you are in the market for a new slow cooker, we just purchased this one and are loving it so far!
Homemade apple cider is a very easy beverage that you can throw together, making the season all the better. Give it a try, you’ll love it!
We use Granny Smith, Gala, and Honeycrisp. A perfect blend of sweetness and tartness.
Yes. Place on low, and it will be warm during your next party or family gathering.
If it’s too sweet, squeeze a little lemon into the batch to offset the sweetness. If it’s too tart, add a bit of simple syrup until you get the desired taste.
Other Apple Cider Recipes
Slow Cooker Apple Cider Recipe
- 9 medium apples assorted types (we used Gala, Honeycrisp and Granny Smith apples)
- 1 orange
- 6 cinnamon sticks 3″
- 1 whole whole nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon whole allspice optional
- 12-14 cups water
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (up to 2/3 cup, to taste)
- Wash the apples and orange, and then roughly cut into quarters. Don’t worry about removing peels, seeds, or stems. Place in the bowl of your slow cooker.
- Add cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice.
- Cover with water, filling the slow cooker until it is nearly full, leaving about 1/2 inch of space at the top of the pot.
- Cook on high heat for 4 hours, or on low heat for 6 hours.
- After the 4 hours, use a potato masher to mash the apples and orange slices.
- Finish cooking for one more hour.
- Strain the solids from the liquid through a fine-mesh sieve, discard solids.
- Serve warm.
- Store remaining apple cider in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
Pinning and sharing on the Hearth and Soul Facebook page, Leigh! I love this warming, wholesome drink – a real treat the whole family can enjoy! thank you so much for being a part of the Hearth and Soul Link Party! Hope your week is going well 🙂
Thanks so much, April. You rock!!