A Slow cooker hot apple cider recipe is a must make for those cool fall days!
Easy, homemade, warm and delicious. Not to mention the aroma that lingers in your home. My house smelled amazing! Oh, so fall fabulous!
Fresh apples, orange, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and brown sugar make this cider irresistible. Perfect for parties, just keep it warm in the slow cooker and let everyone serve themselves a cup garnished with a cinnamon stick or orange slices.
Try our Bread Pudding!
Slow Cooker Apple Cider
Wash the apples and orange thoroughly. Slice into quarters and place the crock of the slow cooker.
Toss the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, dark brown sugar, and 12 cups of water in the crock pot. You could make a spice bag if you wish but it will all be strained later anyway.
Set to high for 4 hours (or low for 6).
This is the kind of recipe where I use my small pieces of nutmeg. You know the pieces that if you keep trying to grate them you’re going to take a fingertip off.
Check out our Apple Butter recipe!
After 4 hours mash the apples and orange with a potato masher. Return the lid and cook on high another hour.
Strain the solids from the liquid through a fine-mesh sieve, discard solids.
Wrap yourself in a cozy blanket and pour yourself a cup of this comforting warm slow cooker apple cider.
Or make this for a party or family gathering, leave in the slow cooker and just keep it warm for everyone to enjoy.
If you are in the market for a new slow cooker we just purchased this one and am loving it so far!
Check out our Spiced Apple Cider Biscotti!
Homemade Apple Cider Recipe
Slow Cooker Apple Cider
- 9 medium apples assorted types (we used Gala, Honeycrisp and Granny Smith apples)
- 1 orange
- 6 cinnamon sticks 3″
- 1 whole whole nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon whole allspice optional
- 12-14 cups water
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (up to 2/3 cup, to taste)
- Wash the apples and orange, and then roughly cut into quarters. Don’t worry about removing peels, seeds, or stems. Place in the bowl of your slow cooker.
- Add cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice.
- Cover with water, filling the slow cooker until it is nearly full, leaving about 1/2 inch of space at the top of the pot.
- Cook on high heat for 4 hours, or on low heat for 6 hours.
- After the 4 hours, use a potato masher to mash the apples and orange slices.
- Finish cooking for one more hour.
- Strain the solids from the liquid through a fine-mesh sieve, discard solids.
- Serve warm.
- Store remaining apple cider in a sealed container in the refrigerator.