Apple butter is the perfect spread for just about anything you desire. Toast, muffins, pancakes, waffles, etc. You can also use it in baking. (Apple Butter Bread)
It is so easy to make in a slow cooker you will never buy it from the store again.
Slow Cooker Apple Butter
Peel, core, and slice 6 1/2 pounds of apples. (I used an equal mix of gala and granny smith apples)
This recipe will make a small batch, about 3 pints.
Place the apples in the slow cooker. In a medium bowl, combine the granulated sugar, dark brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg cloves, and salt.
Or throw it on top of the apples and stir.
Cover and cook on low for 15 hours. Remove the lid and continue to cook for another 2 hours until your desired thickness and color.
Add the vanilla, use an immersion blender to puree until smooth and place in containers. You can also use a blender or food processor.
This year I decided to water bath the jars. I have frozen it in mason jars in previous years and that works just fine. Either way, it’s your choice.
Apple butter canned in sterile jars will last almost indefinitely. In the freezer, the apple butter will last 6 months to possibly 1 year. Apple butter stored in the refrigerator will last about 1 month.
See simplycanning for canning in a water bath. This also worked perfectly! I was very proud of my first canning project. (pats self on the back) I have an 8qt pressure cooker that I used for this project. I didn’t pressure can them I just used the pot for the large capacity. You don’t want your jars to touch during the process.
Like I said freezing also works. Just leave some room at the top of the jar for expansion and allow to cool completely before freezing.
Homemade apple butter goes great on some homemade biscuits !
Crock Pot Apple Butter Recipe
Slow Cooker Apple Butter
- 6 1/2 pounds apples – peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 cup granulated sugar (I used 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed (I used 3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Place the apples in a slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg cloves, and salt.
- Pour the mixture over the apples and mix well.
- Cook in slow cooker on low for about 15 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is dark brown and starting to thicken.
- Uncover, stir in vanilla and continue cooking uncovered on low for about 2 hours, to remove most of the moisture. (you want a dark brown, thick mixture)
- Use an immersion blender to puree the apple butter until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate for up to two weeks or freeze.
- Serve on slices of bread, muffins, pork chops or just eat it with a spoon.
More Delicious Recipes
Adapted from mybakingaddiction