Scotcharoos are a classic Rice Krispie treat coated with butterscotch and chocolate. If you don’t already have these in your cookie repertoire, give them a try.
They are ridiculously easy to make. Scotcheroos are crunchy, sweet, and perfectly chocolatey. They are great for gifting, potlucks, family gatherings, or just the perfect handheld sweet treat. Need a last-minute dessert or snack? This is the recipe.
What are Scotcharoo Bars?
They are a no-bake rice cereal bar. They use peanut butter, sugar, and corn syrup in place of marshmallows. They are then topped with melted chocolate chips and butterscotch chips.
- We use milk chocolate chips but semi-sweet chocolate chips work too.
- You can add one teaspoon of vegetable oil or coconut oil to the melted chips to achieve a smooth and shiny topping.
- Use regular creamy peanut butter. Natural peanut butter could be too oily and cause the bars to fall apart.
- Don’t let the sugar mixture boil. Just heat long enough to melt the sugar.
- You can also make this in the microwave. In a large microwave-safe bowl combine the sugar, corn syrup, and peanut butter. Melt in 30-second intervals, stirring after each one until smooth. Stir in the cereal. Then proceed with the recipe.
- Be sure the chocolate is set before slicing.
How to Make Scotcharoos
First, measure out 6 cups of rice cereal in a large bowl. You want the cereal ready to go because once you pour the sugar/peanut butter mixture over the cereal as it cools quickly.
Grease a 9×13″ pan liberally with butter and set aside.
Place a small saucepan over medium heat, and stir in corn syrup and sugar. Heat, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and stir in the peanut butter, stir to combine.
Pour the sugar mixture over the Rice Krispie cereal and stir immediately to combine.
Press cereal mixture into the prepared pan spreading it out evenly. You want the mixture in there good but don’t press too hard because you don’t want them too packed in.
Mix the chocolate and butterscotch chips in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir. Repeat this step (30-second intervals) until a few small lumps remain, and stir until completely dissolved.
Spread over the cereal evenly.
Allow chocolate to set, for about 2 hours. Cut into desired serving size squares and store in an air-tight container.
Serve this family favorite treat any time of the year!
The corn syrup and sugar mixture were cooked too long. Only heat long enough to dissolve the sugar. Do not let it boil.
Store them in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. If you want to store them in the refrigerator you will need to let them come to room temperature before serving. Otherwise, they will be rock hard.
More Delicious Recipes
- 6 cups rice cereal
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips or semi-sweet
- Grease a 9×13″ pan liberally with butter, set aside.
- Measure and place the rice cereal into a large bowl and set aside.
- Place a small saucepan over medium heat, and stir in corn syrup and sugar. Heat, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and stir in the peanut butter, stir to combine.
- Pour mixture over your rice cereal and mix to combine.
- Press cereal mixture into the prepared pan spreading it out evenly. You want the mixture in there good but don’t press too hard because you don’t want them too packed in.
- Mix the butterscotch chips and chocolate chips in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir. Repeat this step (30-second intervals) until a few small lumps remain, stir until completely dissolved.
- Spread it evenly over the top of your rice cereal.
- Allow chocolate to set, about 2 hours.
My oh my! I just want to dive right through the screen into that panfull of deliciousness. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Weekend Potluck. Enjoy a fabulous holiday weekend.
🙂 Unfortunately I did dive into the pan! Thank you!
I love these! I make them every year at Christmas, and cut them into smaller pieces, like fudge, to gift to friends. You’re right, they’re great any time! Found this on #FoodieFriDIY! Thanks for sharing! 🙂
I think I’m going to add them to my Christmas baking list as well. Thank you, Martie!
Your Scotcharoos look amazing! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a very special weekend!
Come Back Soon,
One of my favorite treats! I’m not a big chocolate lover, but the butterscotch chips makes them so yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe with SYC.
Ohh, these look great! Pinned to share and to save! Thanks for sharing with us at Brag About It!
Thank you so much, Laurie!
So packed with flavors and delicious!
Delicious, my kids will love it, thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop, pinning and tweeting.
Scotcharoos are my FAVORITE during the holidays! I’ll be adding these to my “to bake” list and will be featuring them tomorrow on You Link It We Make It! Thanks for sharing with us! – Kim @ knockitoffkim.com
Thank you so much, Kim! 🙂