Easy stuffed cabbage rolls are a great comfort food recipe to have in your rotation. Meaty, saucy goodness in a neat little package.
There are all sorts of variations on this dish, this is the recipe we enjoy the most.
Try our Bread Pudding for dessert!
Easy Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
How to make stuffed cabbage rolls
Prepare the cabbage leaves, score around the core with a paring knife.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. (large enough to hold the whole head of cabbage) Boil the cabbage for about 2 minutes. Peel off the softened leaves.
Place remaining head back in the boiling water and repeat until all of the leaves are removed. Remove any tough stems from cooked leaves.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl combine rice, egg, milk, onion, ground beef, garlic, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
In a separate large bowl combine the tomato sauce, tomato soup, brown sugar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper to taste. S
Spread a thin layer of the sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
Lay the cooked cabbage leaf flat, add 1/3 cup meat mixture in the center, fold in the sides and roll up the cabbage. Place seam-side down in the pan.
Repeat with remaining cabbage.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour.
Remove the foil and bake another 15-20 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!
Easy Stuffed Cabbage rolls can be made low carb or keto just by omitting the rice in the meat mixture. I’m trying this next time I make this dish.
Check out our Fried Cabbage and Sausage! Another great cabbage dish that’s low carb!
Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe
Easy Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- 12 leaves cabbage
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 10 3/4 oz tomato soup 1 can
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. (large enough to hold the whole head of cabbage)
- Score around the core on the bottom of the cabbage with a paring knife. Boil the cabbage for 2 minutes, remove the soft leaves, repeat until you have 12 leaves.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook rice according to package directions but reduce cooking time by 5 minutes so the rice is slightly underdone. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine rice, egg, milk, onion, ground beef, garlic, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the tomato sauce, tomato soup, brown sugar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 baking pan.
- Remove or thin any thick stem on cabbage leaves. Lay the cabbage leaf flat and add 1/3 cup filling to the center of the leaf. Fold in the sides and roll the cabbage up. Place seam-side down in the pan.
- Pour sauce over the cabbage and cover tightly with foil. Bake 1 hour. Remove the foil and bake another 15-20 minutes. Allow cooling for 10 minutes before serving. (the sauce will thicken upon cooling)
Recipe inspired by sugarapron