Cinnamon crumb coffee cake is the perfect accompaniment to your warm cup of coffee. Moist, buttery cake ribboned with a gooey cinnamon middle and topped with a crumbly streusel. There is nothing better than a thick slice of this cake with your morning or afternoon coffee. They just go hand in hand, right?
Try our Bread Pudding recipe!
Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake
How to make an easy Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake from scratch
Prepare a round (or square) 9″ cake pan with parchment and non-stick baking spray. In a medium-size bowl whisk the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. With a fork mix in the melted butter until it is moistened and crumbs form. Set aside.
In another medium-size bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla. Add the flour alternating with the sour cream and ending with the flour. Do not overmix it will become tough.
Place half the batter in the pan and spread it into an even layer. (the batter will be thick) Sprinkle half of the streusel mixture evenly over the first layer of batter. Repeat with the remaining batter and streusel. Gently press the streusel into the cake batter.
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Remove the pan from the oven to a wire rack to cool completely.
Slice and reward yourself with a piece of heaven! Breakfast, brunch, dessert, etc this Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake is a real treat any time of the day.
Check out our Blueberry Coffee Cake!
Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake Recipe
Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake
For the streusel:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar (or light)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Prepare a round 9-inch pan (or square) with parchment paper and non-stick baking spray. Set aside.
Prepare the streusel
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together. Add the melted butter and mix with a fork until the mixture is uniformly moistened and crumbs form. Set aside.
Prepare the cake:
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time until combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as necessary. Add the vanilla extract. On low speed, add the flour mixture, alternating it with the sour cream, ending with the flour. Do not overmix.
- Place half of the batter into the prepared pan and smooth it into an even layer. The batter will be thick. Sprinkle half of the streusel mixture evenly over the batter. Place the remaining batter on top and smooth it into an even layer. Sprinkle the remaining streusel mixture evenly on top of the cake. Gently press down so the crumbs will stick to the batter.
- Bake the cake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place the cake on a wire rack to cool completely.