Oven Roasted Okra
Here is the promised roasted okra recipe. Roasted okra tastes like fried okra and it’s not slimy at all. It’s healthier and easier. Don’t get me wrong I will always cook and eat fried okra, always! It’s one of my absolute favorites. With this recipe, you don’t have to slice up every single pod, batter it and then fry in a ton of oil. This was so easy, I just prepped and roasted while I prepared the rest of the meal.
Wash, slice the tops off and dry the okra pods. Place them in a bowl and toss with oil, salt, and pepper.
Spread in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees. Shaking the pan several times during cooking.
You must try this the next time you come across fresh okra at the market.
- 1 pound Okra Fresh
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Rinse the okra, and drain on a kitchen towel. The okra should be dry.
- Trim away the stem ends and the tips, just the very ends, and then place the okra in a large bowl. Toss with the olive oil, salt, and pepper until coated.
- Lift the okra from the bowl, leaving behind any excess oil. Place on a sheet pan in one layer. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes (large okra might take a little longer), shaking the pan every so often.
- The okra should be lightly browned and tender. Edges a bit crisp and center tender.
- Be careful not to overbake them, the longer they are in the oven the smaller and darker they will become.