Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
Sausage hashbrown breakfast casserole is one the easiest ways to feed a crowd. It’s a hearty dish with all your breakfast favorites baked in one pan! It can be made the night before and is perfect for a crowd.
Why You’ll Love This
This breakfast casserole with sausage and hash browns is the PERFECT breakfast for those who want, no … who need that big breakfast with all the flavors in a quick fashion.
Sausage, hash browns, eggs, and cheese are all your favorite breakfast foods baked in one dish.
It easily feeds 12 people!
It takes less than 15 minutes to prepare. You can also make it the night before and refrigerate it until the next morning.
If you have some frozen hash browns, some breakfast sausage, a little red pepper, and onion, you have about all you need to throw this delicious casserole together.
Other crowd pleasing breakfast options we love are ham and cheese strata, sausage muffins without bisquick, and sausage cake.
- Sausage – This recipe uses ground pork breakfast sausage, such as Jimmy Dean or Tennessee Pride.
- Eggs and Half and Half – These are the base of the casserole. They bake up soft and fluffy.
- Hash Browns (hashbrowns) – We use a frozen bag of hash browns but thaw and drain on paper towels.
- Seasonings – Bell peppers, onions, dry mustard, salt, and pepper is all you need for a fantastic flavor.
How to Make Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray, and set aside.
Cook the sausage and bell peppers. When almost cooked through, toss in the green onions.
Whisk the eggs, milk, ground mustard, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
Add the shredded hash browns, cooked sausage mixture, and shredded cheese, and combine.
Pour into the casserole dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. This is when you can cover and refrigerate overnight. Or bake at 350º for 55-60 minutes.
Serve and enjoy a stress-free breakfast with a fruit salad if you like.
This sausage egg hash brown casserole gives you all your favorite breakfast items together in one dish, and anybody who has a piece will be back for more.
- Shred your own cheese. Pre-shredded store-bought cheese is covered in cellulose and doesn’t melt as well.
- You can use any ground sausage you like, such as turkey sausage or Italian sausage.
- Add diced ham or crumbled bacon.
- Choose your favorite cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, mild cheddar, or Monterrey jack cheese.
- Use leftover vegetables such as broccoli, mushrooms, or asparagus.
Absolutely! You can bake the sausage and hashbrown casserole right away or cover tightly and refrigerate it overnight. The next morning remove the baking dish from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes up to 1 hour before baking and follow the baking instructions.
Leftovers will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or oven.
Yes! Wrap individual servings tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and freeze in an air-tight container or freezer bag.
Or freeze the prepared unbaked casserole tightly wrapped in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight, remove from the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before baking and then bake as instructed.
More Breakfast Recipes
Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- 2 pounds ground pork breakfast sausage
- 1 cup bell pepper we use red and/or yellow
- 1 cup green onions diced (about 5-6)
- 10 large eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 5 cups frozen hash browns shredded (thawed and drained)
- 3 cups pepper jack cheese shredded (divided)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 baking dish, set aside.
- Cook the sausage and bell peppers until the meat is cooked through and the peppers are softened.2 pounds ground pork breakfast sausage, 1 cup bell pepper
- Add the green onions, mix and remove to a paper towel-lined plate.1 cup green onions
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs, half and half, salt, pepper, and ground mustard. Add in the hash browns, 2 cups pepper jack cheese, and sausage mixture.10 large eggs, 1 cup half and half, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon ground mustard, 5 cups frozen hash browns, 3 cups pepper jack cheese
- Transfer to baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes.
- Or cover and refrigerate overnight. The next morning remove the baking dish from the refrigerator at least 1 hour before baking, follow baking instructions.
Recipe inspired by TasteOfHome
This is my kind of recipe! I’m a hashbrown/potato addict! I’m pinning this recipe to save for later! I love that pepperjack cheese goes into this recipe. You can’t go wrong with that kind of cheese!
I totally agree, Natalie! Thank you so much for coming by.
I admit it, I have a thing about breakfast casseroles. I love them! This looks and sounds sooo good. I’ve pinned for later and shared. Thank you for linking up at Party in Your PJ’s.
This is a great breakfast casserole for the upcoming holidays! Thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with us at Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a good week and come back to see us real soon!
Thank you for sharing this recipe. It sounds amazing. I’m having company Dec 1 st so this will be made up the night that night and baked the next morning before before e leave for our cruise. ?
Oooo, a cruise! I hope you all have a great vacation! Thank you so much for coming by, Becky.
Looks awesome. What hashbrown do you use?
Patty, I use whatever brand is on sale. Thank you so much for coming by!
what happens with the rest of the cheese?
Hi Ruth, thank you so much for letting us know the remaining 1 cup of cheese was not listed when to use. I have corrected the recipe. 🙂
Can the ingredients be halved and then make in pie plate?
I probably wouldn’t recommend that. This casserole can get pretty tall and I wouldn’t be trusting the height of a pie plate. But .. you can always try 🙂