Do you need a quick snack for a get-together? These bacon jalapeno popper pinwheels are the perfect solution!
They are flavorful, easy to put together, and won’t cost you an arm and a leg. To me, that’s a win-win-win.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
When we started this site way back when, it was because we were let down again and again eating out.
The food, more often than not, was mediocre. And when you’re paying good money you want good food.
This pinwheel recipe just hammers the point. Simple ingredients that won’t break you, delivering a dish that belies the cost of the ingredients.
We’re talking about a fun appetizer here.
Super tasty, the saltiness of the bacon with a spicy hit of jalapeno, all being cooled with the creamy cheesy filling. All wrapped up in a soft tortilla. It hits all the spots.
I’m not even gonna mention how easy it is to pick one up and just shove it into my mouth (which I did, more than once).
Plus, it’s super easy to assemble. You can even (and perhaps should) prepare these a day in advance, so all you have to do is slice them up and serve.
Which leaves more time for visiting with friends and family, staying glued to the TV on game day, or whatever your particular activity may be.
Inexpensive, quick to assemble, tasty. Honestly, what more can you ask for? Make ’em, you won’t be disappointed.
Take a look here. Nothing crazy at all. Easy to find ingredients. And when they come together in a bite-sized yummy … nice!
Large Flour Tortillas – The soft, pliable nature makes them perfect for rolling, and they add a gentle, embrace to our spicy, cheesy filling. Personally, I’ll wrap anything in a tortilla!
Cream Cheese – The creamy dreamy component that binds everything together.
Cheddar Cheese – Bringing a bold, tangy flavor to the party, cheddar cheese melds with the cream cheese into creamy perfection.
Bacon – Crispy, salty delight! Bacon adds that essential crunch and a smoky flavor that’s just irresistible. A perfect balance to the cheese.
Jalapeno peppers – The spark! Jalapenos bring the kick that elevates the pinwheels from meh to YES! But don’t worry, we’ll tame the heat a bit by removing the seeds and veins.
Salt, pepper, and garlic powder – The trusty trio that amplifies everything. They add just the right touch of seasoning. Everything is better with some SPG!
How To Make Bacon Jalapeno Popper Pinwheels
The prep work you want to knock out first is to cook the bacon up and give it a good crumble when it cools.
You also want to make sure that the cream cheese is at room temperature. As we’re going to mix all the ingredients together, you want that cream cheese softened up.
There is nothing worse than mixing cold cream cheese. It’s a bear!
Once that has been completed, we can begin putting these pinwheels together.
All that is left is to plate and serve!
Chips and dip have their place. I love chips and dips. But these bacon jalapeno popper pinwheels elevate the snack game some, and everybody will love you all the more for it!
We do ours overnight because I am cutting them up right before the game!
Give it a whirl and share your creations with us on Instagram using #dontsweattherecipe, or let us know what you think in the comments below!
- Prep Ahead: If you’ve got a busy day coming up, no worries! Prep these pinwheels the night before, wrap them up tight, and pop them in the fridge. The next day, just slice and serve. Easy peasy!
- Cutting Technique: Make sure your rolled tortillas are well-chilled before cutting for clean, even slices. A sharp, serrated knife works wonders for slicing through without squishing your beautiful pinwheels. And hey, practice makes perfect, so the more pinwheels you make, the better your slices will look!
- Cheese Choices: Feeling cheesy? Swap out cheddar for a sharp provolone or a smoked gouda. Each cheese brings its own unique flavor to the party, so don’t be afraid to experiment and find your favorite combo!
- Meat Variations: Not a bacon fan or just want to mix it up? Try cooked, crumbled sausage or thinly sliced ham. They bring a whole new flavor profile that’s equally delightful!
- Vegetarian Option: Swap out the bacon for some sun-dried tomatoes or roasted red peppers. You’ll still get a nice texture and a burst of flavor, but in a meat-free way.
- Spice It Up: For those who love a good kick, up the ante by adding a dash of hot sauce or some red pepper flakes to the cream cheese mixture. Or hey, leave the seeds and veins of the jalapenos. That’ll do it!
Absolutely! Substitute the regular flour tortillas with carb-free tortillas to make this recipe a super keto friendly recipe that actually tastes good!
Yes, you sure can! You can prepare the pinwheels the night before your event, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate. When you’re ready to serve, just slice them up. They’re a fantastic make-ahead appetizer!
These pinwheels are a hit on their own, but if you’re looking to create a fuller appetizer spread, consider serving them alongside a fresh vegetable spread with a variety of dips like blue cheese or salsa, and maybe some other finger foods like chicken wings or sliders. The sky’s the limit!
Other Delicious Appetizers
Bacon Jalapeno Popper Pinwheels
- 5 Tortillas Large, burrito size
- 12 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- 12 oz Bacon cooked, crumbled (12 oz package), about 10 pieces.
- 1/2 cup Jalapeno diced, seeded and deveined
- 1 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- Add all the ingredients together in a large bowl and mix it until it’s combined well.
- Add a fifth of the jalapeno popper mixture to a tortilla and spread it across the entire surface.
- Roll the tortilla up, tightly.
- Repeat the process until you have five tortillas rolled up.
- Wrap them in plastic wrap tightly and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to overnight.
- When ready, slice them in 3/4 inch portions, discarding the ends. You should end up with 8-10 pinwheels per tortilla.
- Plate and serve!