Sausage, Potato and Kale Soup
Creamy, spicy sausage, kale, and potato soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage casing removed
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional (I use 1/4 teaspoon)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound red potatoes diced
- 3 cups kale or spinach I used baby kale
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
Add Italian sausage and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks; drain excess fat.
Stir in garlic, onion, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes.
Cook, stirring frequently until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Stir in chicken broth and bay leaf, and bring to a boil.
Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
Stir in spinach until it begins to wilt.
Stir in heavy cream until heated through
Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Calories: 403kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 71mg | Sodium: 1302mg | Potassium: 881mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3517IU | Vitamin C: 63mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 2mg