Red Velvet Cupcakes
Deep red color, moist, soft fluffy crumb and slathered with a sinful cream cheese frosting. So much better than bakery cupcakes!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 Tbs red food coloring (I only used 2 Tbs, that was all I had)
- 1 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 Tbs butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 3/4-4 1/2 cups powdered sugar (this will depend on how thick you like the frosting)
- 1 tsp vanilla
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake liners.
In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
In a large bowl beat the vegetable oil, buttermilk, eggs, red food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla extract.
Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.
Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake papers, about 2/3 full.
Bake 20 to 22 minutes. Or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let cool completely before frosting.
Calories: 323kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 219mg | Potassium: 55mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 34g | Vitamin A: 233IU | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 1mg